By Wendy J. Terwelp, Career Coach, Personal Branding Strategist
Excerpted from “Rock Your Network® for Job Seekers.”
1. Schedule time to network; create a networking plan.
2. Create your own on-brand sound bite (Chapter 5)
3. Take 5 minutes to update your contact list to see who is currently in your network – and who should be. Think BIG.
4. Take 5 minutes and review your LinkedIn updates; send a quick email to those in your network who’ve shared news – like a new job.
5. Ask a friend how you can help him or her. You’ve got to fuel your network to fire it up! Those who give get.
6. Send an article or cool website link to someone in your network.
7. Take 5 minutes and introduce your friends to each other at the next networking event or gathering.
8. When you get business cards, jot down the date, name of the event, and at least one unique thing you learned about the person so you can follow up with them later.
9. Send a card on a weird holiday like Steve on page 65.
10. Take 5 minutes and thank a friend, family member, boss, colleague, college alumnus or coworker.
© 2009 • Wendy J. Terwelp • Opportunity Knocks™ • All Rights Reserved.
Wendy Terwelp has helped thousands of clients get hired faster and be rock stars at work since 1989. A recognized expert on networking, both online and off, Wendy has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Fast Company, The Business Journal, Careerbuilders.com, Monster.com, and more as well as numerous radio shows. She has published hundreds of articles on the web and in print. She literally wrote the book on networking, “Rock Your Network® for Job Seekers.” Learn more and get free tips to rock your career at www.knocks.com.
Want to order the book, “Rock Your Network® for Job Seekers?”
Call: 262.241.4655 or visit: www.knocks.com.